Adding more templates to the project

May 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I've been trying to add more schema templates to the project, but as I'm very new to this whole concept I have had no luck this far.

I created new *.xsd to be used as a template for Biztalk projects and I created also *.vstemplate file for my schema. I added both of the files under "Items" folder in my BiztalkSoftwareFactory project and rebuilt solution. After installing my modified project my newly created template is not visible when I try to add schema in Biztalk project. Actually when I right click on "schemas" folder in my Biztalk project, I can't find "Biztalk Software Factory" menu option anymore.

Could someone point me which files should be editted when I want to add more schema templates? And preferably what kind of modifications will be needed.

Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM
Hi,

Have a look at the general GAT/GAX documentation, this should help you out...

Rgds, Dick Dijkstra

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 02:22:09 -0700
Subject: Adding more templates to the project [bsf:211359]

I've been trying to add more schema templates to the project, but as I'm very new to this whole concept I have had no luck this far.
I created new *.xsd to be used as a template for Biztalk projects and I created also *.vstemplate file for my schema. I added both of the files under "Items" folder in my BiztalkSoftwareFactory project and rebuilt solution. After installing my modified project my newly created template is not visible when I try to add schema in Biztalk project. Actually when I right click on "schemas" folder in my Biztalk project, I can't find "Biztalk Software Factory" menu option anymore.
Could someone point me which files should be editted when I want to add more schema templates? And preferably what kind of modifications will be needed.

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bsf@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email bsf@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Al je email accounts in 1 inbox. Het kan in Hotmail.
Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hi,

It is great to hear you're using the BSF!

The best advice I can give you is : To extend the functionality you should take a close look at the current items, where they are referenced and what their properties are.

In short you have to do the following (it's been a while and I havent' been able to test it, so I'm not 100% sure but at least it's close):

• Add an item (xsd) and a template (vstemplate) to the Templates\Items folder (which you already did)
    • -> make sure the name is unique, in the current Schema item it is NewItemSchema
    • -> make sure you set the 'Action Build' property to 'Content' so they are actually deployed as content
  • Add a recipe for the new item, make sure the name is constent (perform a search on 'NewItemSchema' to find where it is used)
  • Add an entry to the BindingRecipe.xml, this file binds the actions to the references and determines where they show up (this is determined by the ReferenceType class), the 'AssetName' is the vstemplate that is executed.
  • Add the new recipe to the 'BizTalkSoftwareFactory.xml' in the root of the BizTalkSoftwareFactory project.

It is my experience that without testing these steps myself (twice), it is impossible to give 100% certainty. GAT/GAX has its bad habits.

If you need more help, let me know.

Kind regards,

Jean-Paul

May 4, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Thanks Jean-Paul! To my current understanding that makes perfectly sense and I will try it out. I've really been trying to find documentation for GAT/GAX, but it is either hard to find or all information I need has been shattered all over the Internet.