Different solution folder structure for shorter file paths

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Hi, I have started using BSF 3.0 recently and am very pleased with what the tool is capable of. However, as in any other case when starting using a community developed tool it does not take long time before I stumble to challanges which make me wish that things were done a bit differently.

Particularly what i have in mind is related to how i am used to manually create BizTalk project structure. It looks like this:

• <Solution namespace> (solution root folder)
    • <Solution namespace>.sln (the solution file)
    • Schemas (folder for the schemas project)
      • <Solution namespace>.Schemas.btproj
    • Maps (folder for the maps project)
      • <Solution namespace>.Maps.btproj
    • Orchestrations (folder for the orchestrations project)
      • <Solution namespace>.Orchestrations.btproj

What BSF does out of the box is something that is a bit different from the above structure:

• <Solution name> (solution root folder)
    • <Solution namespace>.sln (the solution file)
    • <Solution namespace>.Schemas (folder for the schemas project)
      • <Solution namespace>.Schemas.btproj
    • <Solution namespace>.Maps (folder for the maps project)
      • <Solution namespace>.Maps.btproj
    • <Solution namespace>.Orchestrations (folder for the orchestrations project)
      • <Solution namespace>.Orchestrations.btproj

This default structure can potentially lead to file paths that are longer than the limit of 256 chars, which results in a failure while creating the project structure. This usually happens while creating the Orchestrations project, even in situations without any form for solution folder nesting. This is very unpleasant situation espacially when there has been adopted a more business domain oriented naming convention for the integration solutions, which usually leads to longer namespace names.

Have someone out there, or the owner of this tool, considered implementing, or even implemented, a solution folder structure as the one I am used to for manual creation as outlined above? This way there should be defined only one thing in the BSF wizard - the solution namespace. In addition the resulting paths will be shorter with few tens of characters, which may allow for even longer namespaces if needed.

Thanks in advance

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Thanks for using the BSF!

I'm aware of the issues with the long names caused by the namespaces. And as with most community developed tools it is done by people in their spare time, so sometimes the response to requests is not as expected.

I'll take your request into consideration for at least the next version of the BSF (for BizTalk 2013) and if I find some time I'll probably try to do it for the BSF 3.0 as well. If you cannot wait until that time, you're free to take the source code and adjust it according to your needs. One hint: you need to dive into the "CreateSolutionRecipe.xml" file in the recipe folder. This xml file describes the actions.

I'm sorry I cannot be of any help sooner.